The Textile Society is committed to supporting and developing the study of textiles in the UK.
The Society’s Student Bursaries of up to £1,000 support BA and MA final year projects or dissertations, internships and apprenticeships.
Bursaries under this scheme aim to supply additional financial support to individuals studying within the broad area of textiles.
Students undertaking education in any textiles, fashion or textile related course in the UK are eligible to apply.
Applications are invited from all areas of art and design with a textile focus. These are broadly described to allow for all aspects of textile education – from textile design to fashion design, costume design, fine art, craft, performance and interdisciplinary projects with a strong textile-led approach.
Closing date: 1 March 2024
Students must be individual members of the Textile Society.
Please note: New members are advised to allow between three to eight working days for their subscription to be processed and their membership to be activated.
Students must complete an online application form, submitted through their individual Textile Society membership number.
All sections of the application form must be completed.
The Society is looking for creative projects that are viable and have vision.
You may make one application only. This should include:
- A digital portfolio of work that communicates textile explorations and imaginative ideas towards a creative project proposal. (Up to 10 slides saved as a PDF. Max. file size 24MB.)
- Your slides should include recent work that shows evidence of observation, visual research, design development, sampling, prototypes, garments, products or objects that have led to your proposed project.
- A clearly written statement outlining your vision, creative objectives and proposed outcomes that the funding will support (Up to 500 words saved as a PDF. Max. file size 8MB).
- In the same document, include a budget plan and timeline of activity with clear objectives, realistic costing, and justification for how the Textile Society funding will be spent (Up to 300 words).
- Applications that have not adhered to the above criteria may not be considered.
- The Textile Society’s decision is final.
- A working liaison with successful applicants in receipt of a bursary is encouraged.
As such, the Textile Society should be appropriately acknowledged on your work and provided with an article or brief report which may be published in Text (the Textile Society journal) or News (the Textile Society’s newsletter). The editors of Text will work with students to support them towards publication.
Alternatively, the student may be asked to give a presentation at an appropriate event.
This will be specified to all successful applicants.
- By submitting images to the Textile Society the applicant grants permission for all images to be used by the Textile Society for the purposes of publicity, including, but not limited to, use on the public website and social media channels, and all other publicity material such as the Textile Society journal Text, News, posters, etc.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all material is fully cleared for these purposes.
- The Textile Society journal Text is archived by the British Library.
By submitting images to the Textile Society it is deemed that the applicant grants permission for all material to be archived.